November 4, 2014
Present: Christie Stoll, Kay Webb, Tammy Dickinson, Stacy Harshman, Mary Ellen Nourse, Kathy Purin, Brady Cook,
Not Present: David Wallace Eastwood, Julie O’Meara, Kelly Curry, Eric Anderson, Heather Davis, Lori Warren
1. Career Development Month Activities
a. Update on proclamation status
i. Governor office will let us know this week if we can get a signing ceremony!
ii. Possibly a signing ceremony mid-November
b. Discussed other ideas
· Reception if signing is given
· Recognition of career supporter and ICDA gives award…
· Highlight resources or agencies that can provide support to counselors
o Send note to members to highlight on our social media
o Highlight college application week to members and counselors
o Identify area “best practices” and seek press support – write a story
2. ICDA Spring conference
a. Began planning for spring conference.
i. discussed themes, locations, etc…
discussed keeping the same location, looking at the second week of April,
members will look at respective conferences and possible conflicts during this time.
ii. Save the dates need to go out this month
iii. President elect leads this effort but will need others to also help
- · Tammy talked about website development
- · She tested possible site hosting
- · The link to the test site will be sent out with a request for feedback within one week…then Tammy will begin transferring information from current site.
- o Feedback should be sent directly to Tammy…response information will be in the email.
4. Leadership in Career Development Awards
a. Planning to award later in the year – possibly in April at the Conference
· Possibly begin push for nominations in January
o Kick off at ICA conference
5. ICA Conference (Pocatello January 28-31, 2015)
a. Is anyone attending conference in Pocatello?
a. Brady, Kay, Christie will attend
b. ICDA Distinguished Speaker: Due by NOVEMBER 15th
a. Kay nominated Michael Pitts
i. She will ask him if he would consider serving as our distinguished speaker…
i. This is where we have an option to have someone in our field speak for 90 minutes on a related topic of interest to our members or anyone interested in the field.
ii. Typically there is a stipend from ICDA that we might be able to use to help with travel and so forth if need be.
c. Suggestions for presenters?
d. Suggestions for topics?
vii. Sponsorships or Exhibitors:
b. Exhibitors: $250.00
c. Christie asked that board members consider having our agencies sponsor a booth. She provided contact information.
viii. ICA Award Nominations (Due November 15th) :
4. Each year ICA gives out awards in several categories.
5. Do we have someone in the Career Development filed that we want to nominate for an ICA award?
e. NOTE: I received an award 2 years ago and it was a very nice honor!
· Possibly nominate Michael Pitts for an award.
· Brady has some ideas of nominees…Dr. Paulsen and his director
ix. Career Development track at ICA conference:
6. Each division is given three presentation slots to highlight issues/topics in their field. Historically, the Career Development track has struggled to fill its slots. Currently we have two submissions before ICA that would qualify for the Career Development track but we need one more in addition to our distinguished speaker spot.
7. Ideas for topics or speakers?
· Christie suggested a group presentation of CD resources for counselors
f. Presenter Requirements (need to have advanced degree) may need advanced degree in mental health for some topics around career development theory
x. Silent Auction Basket – be thinking about items or a theme
8. Each division is expected to contribute something for the silent auction. Last year we did a basket specked for an elementary classroom that was stocked donations from CIS and IDeal. See attachments.
g. Our basket was one of the highest grossing baskets for the conference
9. What do we want to do this year?
10. ICDA is only able to award nationally recognized CEUs through ICA.
11. We must submit info 30 days prior to ICA they will register and keep on file.
h. Presenter Requirements (need to have advanced degree) may need advanced degree in mental health for some topics around career development theory
12. Susan Jenkins and I will draft a letter to NCA regarding presenter requirements. We are doing our research with NCDA right now.
f. ICA Legislative Meet and Greet (January)
xii. This is an event that happens in the Capitol during the session. ICA invites all of the legislators and has a Counseling Fact Sheet available to further the knowledge on the profession
13. How can ICDA being involved – Christie will send out dates; we can have our brochures available
14. Who can attend
15. What info do we want regarding ICDA?
Christie will send out list of board members so we can get to know each other better.
L. Kay Webb